Transitions and expansions
Eaton Peabody is one of Maine’s most widely recognized and respected law firms. The law practice was originated by George F. Eaton in 1917. He quickly established himself as the pre-eminent business lawyer in Bangor and was joined in 1937 by George F. Peabody. In 1939, George F. Eaton and George F. Peabody made their partnership official by forming the law partnership of Eaton & Peabody, focusing their practice on civil and business law.
The partnership of Eaton & Peabody flourished and became the law firm of choice for clients seeking business law advice in northern and eastern Maine. Merrill “Pappy” Bradford and Arnold Veague joined the practice in the 1940’s and the firm was renamed Eaton, Peabody, Bradford & Veague. The firm continued to grow and moved to its current Exchange Street location in 1977. Today, more than 50 lawyers in five locations maintain a major statewide law practice.
With the development of a sophisticated economic development practice in the late 1990’s, the firm recognized the need to provide a broader array of services to our clients that stretch beyond traditional legal services. This realization led to the creation of Eaton Peabody Consulting Group (EPCG).
Now operating under the name Eaton Peabody, the firm and its affiliates combine nearly 60 attorneys and consultants with over 50 support staff to serve clients throughout Maine and beyond from offices in Augusta, Bangor, Brunswick, Ellsworth and Portland.